LIBRARIAN WELCOME MESSAGE
It gives me great pleasure to welcome you to Turkana University College Library. The University Library is your gateway to information resources that will inspire and facilitate your research and study across all disciplines. We aim to enrich your time spent at Turkana University College by providing quality service, comfortable and collaborative study spaces, and world-class collections.
Exploiting available sources of information has long been a science in its own right and has spawned a worldwide economic sector offering services from which you will be able to directly benefit from. The flood of information before us is overwhelming and will only increase with further developments in technology. But in today's knowledge-based society we rely on knowing the section of this information that is relevant to our field of work and area of life. However, we can offer you much more than simply the opportunity to borrow literature required for study, teaching and research to providing access to whatever information you need.
We hope you will use the library as a place of learning, information and communication. When you visit the library, you will find a rich collection of print resources ranging from books, magazines, government publications, research reports and other materials not available online. You will also be able to access online resources. The library boosts of access to over 200,000 e-books from various databases and a collection of approximately 20,000 e-journals in various subject areas.
The University College Library continually works to further the development of its services and has a global presence.
We want to help you meet your research and learning goals, and trust the resources and services we provide will prove helpful to you. Please feel free to contact any library staff.
University College Librarian
ABOUT THE LIBRARY
To Provide an Environment conducive for learning research innovation and teaching through provision of diverse up-to date information to help in a achieving TUC core Objectives
To be the leading user centre information hub committed to providing Quality and timely information service to TUC fraternity.
¨ Integrity, transparency and accountability
¨ Innovative and creative ¨ Excellence
Rules and Regulations
Admission to the library and use of the books are conditional upon strict observance of the following regulations and ignorance of these will not be an excuse for non-observance.
|Monday - Friday||8.00 am -||9.00 pm||(Issue Desk-8.00am-8.40pm)|
|Saturday||8.00 am -||6.00 am||(Issue Desk-8.00am-5.40pm)|
|Sunday & Public Holiday||Library closed|
RULES AND REGULATIONS
Membership of the library is open to registered students, staff and authorized non TUC persons.
- Student details will be extracted from Erp to Library system (Koha)
- Staff will produce staff Id and will be registered through the Library system (Koha)
- External applicants shall be granted access to TUC library upon payment of the following daily fees:
- Students Kshs. 20
- Non-students Kshs. 100
- University Librarian reserves the right to demand identification from registered members and may deny access into the library.
- University identification cards must be shown to library staff at the entrance.
- External users shall produce National Identification Cards.
- Users shall observe silence in the library and its environs at all times.
- Unauthorized removal of library property is an offense and appropriate disciplinary action shall be taken against offenders.
- Bags, cases, caps, hats folders etc. shall be left in the designated luggage area of the library at owner's risk.
- Users shall not be allowed to leave their baggage overnight in the library.
- The library shall not take responsibility for loss of personal property or books already signed out to users.
- Users shall be required to show all items in their possession to the security officer before leaving the library.
- Anyone caught marking, defacing or mutilating books or any other library material shall pay for the material from the most current edition of the same.
- Order shall be observed in the library at all times. For example, placing of feet on the furniture, eating and drinking, smoking, sleeping etc. shall not be allowed.
- Use of sound equipment like radios, cell phones etc. is strictly prohibited in the library and its environs.
- Seats in the library shall not be reserved.
- Users shall not be allowed to re-shelf books once retrieved from the shelf.
- No library equipment shall be moved, modified or tampered with.
- Library staff shall reserve the right to inspect bags or other personal property when users enter or leave the library.
- Users who do not follow library rules and regulations shall be asked to leave and may lose membership to the library.
BORROWING OF INFORMATION MATERIALS HELD IN THE LIBRARY
- Borrowing shall be restricted to registered members only.
- Information materials shall not to be taken out of the library unless they are properly issued.
- Users shall be held responsible for any damage or loss of library materials in their possession and shall be required to meet the cost of replacement.
- Users shall ensure that the books they borrow are in good condition to avoid being held responsible for any damages noted while returning the books.
- Lost library books that are recovered, shall be handed to the librarian as they remain the property of the University library.
- Users with overdue book shall be blocked from the library system.
- LOAN PERIODS
Registered members shall be allowed to keep borrowed items for the period indicated below;
- University Staff: 2 books for 2 weeks
- Post Graduate Students: 2 books for a period of 2weeks
- Undergraduate/ Diploma: 1books for a period of one week
- User with disability: 2 books for 1 week.
Borrowed Library materials not returned after the due-date shall attract penalties as indicated below:
Long loan Kshs 5 per day and Kshs 5 per hour for short loan.
Long loan Kshs 10 per day and Kshs 10 per hour for short loan.
c). Library Luggage tag
Lost Library luggage tag shall be replaced at a cost of Kshs 100
RULES ON THE USE OF ELECTRONIC RESOURCES
- Booking or reserving computers shall not be allowed.
- Engagement on Face book and other social networking media shall not be allowed.
- Use of internet (including transmission or receiving of any material) in violation of the copyright law is prohibited.
- Users shall not interfere with or disrupt network uses, services, or equipment.
- Internet equipment and software shall be used as installed on respectable workstations of the library.
- Users shall not add, delete or modify installed hardware or software, or change settings.
- Library computers are strictly for learning and research purposes. Anyone found surfing non educational sites (e.g. pornographic sites) shall lose his/her right to use the library.
- The internet is a global electronic network and the TUC library department shall not be responsible for accuracy, validity, legality or usefulness of information available. Users of such Information shall be at liberty to seek guidance on the use of such information.
- Users shall shut down the computers after use.
There is a copyright protection law on most of the library materials (displayed in library reference section). Deliberate infringement on this law e.g. unauthorized copying, is a criminal offence. All users of electronic information resources shall abide by the terms of appropriate licenses. However, permissible copying limits as per Copyright Act may be made for academic purposes. All users of library materials shall observe these limits in the library premises or elsewhere.
All registered members of the library shall clear with the University library at the expiry of their membership.
For More Information, Please contact:
Tel : 0701018344,0701018319
P.O BOX 69 Lodwar
1. Membership of the Library is open to registered students, Staff and authorized non TUC persons.
2. External applicants shall be granted access to TUC Library on production of recommendation letters from the relevant officers from their places of employment or other regional libraries . In addition, they shall pay the following fees:
* Student Kshs. 20 per day
* Non-Students Kshs 100 per day
3. Registration of TUC students shall be done within the first month after admission in the first year subject to undergoing Library orientation
Current Awareness Services
Research and User Services
The section is committed to helping users meet their specific informational needs. We are similarly mindful of the fact that no library in the world can claim to be self-sufficient. In the event that a user is unable to find what he/she is looking for they are free to consult our information service desks for research assistance. Our competent librarians are there to provide timely responses to user academic and research needs. The users are free to come with their laptop and enjoy wireless network access. I invite you to explore our website and trust that you will find our resources useful in meeting your academic and research information needs.
The circulation section is the main service point for all library clientele. Apart from charging and discharging of library materials, it provides customized services and attend to general user information needs or enquiries. It is also charged with the following functions among many others: registration of users, orientation of new patrons; monitoring materials for material damage and routing them to the appropriate section for repair or replacement; manage overdue fines ; and clearance of students and staff exiting the university.
Library ICT and Innovation
The section manages ICT services in the library. All sections of the Library have been connected through LAN to cater for various needs of the users. Library computer database have been created using the Library Management Software (KOHA). The section is also charged with the responsibility of maintaining hardware and software, e-resources access services, coming up with innovative digital product, improve and maintain a robust Institutional Repository.
The section is dedicated to delivering, high quality, up to date and innovative information resources which contribute to the successful learning, teaching and research of the University and community. The section continually works to further the development of the library collection both in print and electronic resources.