Welcome to the Turkana University College Library webpage, it is our hope that you will make the fullest use of the Library and its information services, sources and resources. Turkana University College Library plays a central role in the University College. Its primary responsibility is to assist its users in the process of transforming information to Knowledge.
The library plays the following functions and roles in the University College.
- It acts as a centre of information collection, storage, retrieval & dissemination for students, lecturers, & administrative staff.
- It actively participates in the provision and dissemination of information for academic excellence and quality education while aspiring to remain relevant and vital in the university.
- It also acts as a centre of education and research services to the clientele. It creates and nurtures a reading culture through the expansive information resources that are housed in the library.
To Provide an Environment conducive for learning research innovation and teaching through provision of diverse up-to date information to help in a achieving TUC core Objectives.
To be the leading user centre information hub committed to providing Quality and timely information service to TUC fraternity.
- Selecting and acquiring up-to-date information resources in all formats that are relevant to the information needs of the university
- Organizing the library collection using the internationally accepted standards for easy retrieval
- Establishing, promoting and maintaining a wide range of services that will support the academic programmes of the University and encourage optimum exploitation of the library resources.
- Adopting technologies that will make information resources accessible to the University community in an efficient and effective manner
Turkana University Library
The University Library boosts of having access to over 200,000 e-books from various databases and a collection of approximately 6,000 volumes of physical books. Furthermore, the University library has access to approximately 20,000 e-journals in various subject areas.
Monday –Friday: 8am -9pm
Saturday: 8- 6pm
Sunday & Public Holidays: Library Closed
Circulation Services/Reference Services
You can borrow books and other information materials to use in and out of the library for a specified duration. The following procedures and regulations apply:
- To borrow books, one must produce their staff or student ID card for identification
- Only bonafied students and members of staff of Turkana University College are allowed to borrow books from the University Library
- Impersonation is NOT allowed
Need a book and another user has borrowed it? We can reserve the book for you so that you can have it as soon as it is returned.
- Information Literacy
As information professionals, we to train on how to access, evaluate, retrieve, use, reference, and generate information and information products.
5 .Reference Services
We provide information on library collections, services, and expertise on multiple kinds of information from various sources within and outside the library.
6 . Loaning Policy
Registered members can borrow materials as indicted
- Undergraduates 2items 2 weeks
- Postgraduates 4 items 1 month
- Staff 4 items 1 month
It should however be noted that the University library reserves the right to amend the borrowing policy from time to time.
The University College Library boosts of having approximately 6,000 volumes of print information materials. They comprise of relevant and current books, journals, special collections, theses and dissertations.
- Open Shelves
These are books you can access from the open shelves in the library. You are allowed to read them within the library or borrow to use while you are away.
2.Short loan books
These are usually, books that are on demand but only a few copies are available. You can still view these items when searching the library’s catalog. You will however, need to request for it at the library’s service desk. This items can only be borrowed and used within the University College library
Digital Services & Collections
Turkana University College Library has subscribed to peer reviewed full text electronic journals and books to support teaching, learning and research activities of the University. The available electronic databases cover all subject areas
Zotero is is a free, easy-to-use tool to help you collect, organize, cite, and share your research sources.
• Collect references automatically; add full-text searchable PDFs to your library, and sync to the cloud
• Find and cite references and create bibliographies with ease
• Collaborate with other researchers by creating group libraries; share files, notes, and bibliographic data
• Zotero excels at projects large and small
• Zotero is open-source software and free for anyone to use
Mendeley is a desktop and web program for managing and sharing research papers, discovering research data, collaborating online and reference management application.
Google Scholar provides a simple way to broadly search for scholarly literature. From one place, you can search across many disciplines and sources: articles, theses, books, abstracts and court opinions, from academic publishers, professional societies, online repositories, universities and other web sites.
Features of Google Scholar
- Search all scholarly literature from one convenient place
• Explore related works, citations, authors, and publications
• Locate the complete document through your library or on the web
• Keep up with recent developments in any area of research
• Check who’s citing your publications, create a public author profile.
(To access the library E-resources click on the link )